Elementary and Secondary Education
Education at the kindergarten through 12th-grade level in Alcorn County is provided by two school systems, one serving students in Corinth and one for those in other areas of the county.
Corinth School District
Recognized as one of Mississippi’s best, the Corinth School District provides high-quality educational opportunities. The district is rated as High Performing overall by the Mississippi Department of Education.
The Corinth School District operates three schools to accommodate students in age-appropriate learning environments:
- Corinth Elementary School (grades Pre-K-4)
- Corinth Middle School (grades 5-8)
- Corinth High School (grades 9-12)
A 2008 bond issue in Corinth (passed by an 87 percent vote) provided funding for a new elementary school, equipped with smart boards and other current technology. The school opened in Fall 2010. Grades 5 through 8 are now housed in the middle school and grades 9 through 12 at Corinth High School. Also funded were construction and technology upgrades at Corinth Junior High School.
The district’s schools offer many enrichment, remediation, and special education programs as well as extracurricular activities. Accelerated and advanced placement courses are offered at the junior high and high school levels. Corinth students score above the national average on standardized achievement tests and the ACT.
- All of the four schools that received accountability ratings in 2009 were rated High Performing.
- Corinth High School has been recognized by Redbook magazine as one of the top 100 high schools in the nation.
- The elementary schools have been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as Distinguished Title I schools.
Alcorn School District
Ensuring that students master the skills necessary for success in tomorrow’s world while inspiring a lifelong love of learning is the goal of Alcorn County schools.
The Alcorn School District has achieved a Quality Distribution Index of 175 for an overall quality rating of High Performing. It is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Mississippi Department of Education.
The district serves over 3,700 students and met or exceeded the state pass rate in all areas of the subject area testing program (SATP) in 2009. The graduation rate in 2014 was 83.1Â percent.
The school district operates 8 schools across the county:
- Alcorn Central Elementary School (Glen, MS; grades K-4)
- Alcorn Central Middle School (Glen, MS; grades 5-8)
- Alcorn Central High School (Glen, MS; grades 9-12)
- Biggersville Elementary School (grades K-6)
- Biggersville High School (grades 7-12)
- Kossuth Elementary School (grades K-4)
- Kossuth Middle School (grades 5-8)
- Kossuth High School (grade 9-12)
- Kossuth Elementary School and Alcorn Central Middle School are rated as High Performing schools.
- All other schools in the system are rated Successful.
- Alcorn Central Middle School, Kossuth Middle School, Biggersville High School, and Kossuth High School have been named Value Added Schools by the Program of Research and Evaluation of Public Schools (PREPS).
- The Alcorn County School District was one of only six in the state to receive the Hugh Peck Award from PREPS for 2009. The award recognizes school districts and organizations that have participated in worthwhile research for the betterment of the state’s schools.
Excel By 5
The first-of-its-kind in the United States, this program emphasizes the important roles communities play in educating their children during their most formative years birth to five.
Excel By 5 sets forth a variety of standards involving parent training, community participation, child care and health to help communities focus on supporting young children and their families. The certification process also identifies available resources and existing best practices to help Excel By 5 -Â Early Childhood Communities reach the goal that all of their children will be ready to learn when they start school at age five.
Funded with a $650,000.00 grant from Chevron, Excel By 5 is currently in many communities across Mississippi. For more information about Excel by 5, please visit http://www.excelby5.com/.
Eagle Home School Association
Eagle is a Christ-centered home school group, with many opportunities for home-school families to find support, encouragement, and activities to enrich their home-schooling journey. In 2015 Eagle Home School Association served approximately 120 families in Alcorn and surrounding counties. For more information about Eagle Home School Association, visit their website at www.eaglehomeschool.com
Northeast Mississippi Community College
With its main campus in Booneville, Mississippi, about 20 miles from Corinth, Northeast Mississippi Community College (NEMCC) serves Alcorn County and four other adjacent counties. A comprehensive community college, it offers college-transfer courses as well as career and technical preparation by conventional and online course delivery methods.
A recently established Corinth branch provides more convenient access to NEMCC educational programs and services for residents and businesses in Alcorn County.
Workforce training programs of Northeast Mississippi Community College are tailored to the needs of business and industry. See the Workforce Training page for detailed information.
Tuition Guarantee Program
Seniors who graduate from Corinth City High School or from any of the county-operated high schools are eligible for the Tuition Guarantee Program offered by Northeast Mississippi Community College (NEMCC).
Graduating seniors who complete all application requirements before the end of May can have their tuition paid for four consecutive regular semesters at NEMCC beginning with the fall semester.
Participants in the program must maintain full-time status and earn at least a C average each semester. More information can be found on the Tuition Guarantee Program’s application.
Mississippi Public Universities
The State of Mississippi system of higher education includes eight universities spread across the state. Those closest to Alcorn County are:
- University of Mississippi ( Ole Miss) at Oxford (85 miles from Corinth)
- Mississippi State University at Starkville (120 miles)
- Mississippi University for Women at Columbus (120 miles)
The first two are doctoral-degree-granting institutions. All three offer outreach programs of value to the state’s businesses and industries. See the Mississippi University Industrial Outreach page for more information.